Sunday 1 May 2011

Why I like the word 'slut'

I am super excited about the London Slutwalk, which is happening on the 4th of June (you should totally go!). I feel really privileged that there's an international movement of feminism happening while I'm alive and able to take part that doesn't (yet) make me feel at all uncomfortable or compromised. I'm especially glad that there are international feminist events happening that make much more sense than Reclaim the Night and allow for what I see as more positive celebration. But I understand that some feminists aren't as comfortable with slutwalks as I am - Laura Woodhouse has written a piece about it in The F Word - and so I wanted to write about why I like the word 'slut' and think it can be a really useful tool for facilitating social change, if feminists feel comfortable using it.

Of course, the word is frequently used in a negative context as a way to marginalise, dismiss, and other women. I would like to posit, though, that this isn't necessarily all bad. I'm not saying that I want to be treated like neither I nor my opinions matter; what I am saying is that being singled out as a problem by disciples of a heteronormative, kyriarchal agenda is something I'm actually pretty happy about. If you look up the word 'slut' on dictionary.com you will see that the definitions given often involve words like 'immoral' and 'dirty' - words that I think are awesome when used by people I disagree with to describe me. Immoral? Great, that means I don't have to keep my sex missionary with men and, more importantly, a shameful secret. Dirty? Fantastic, this means I get to express myself when I dress rather than the preferences of the conservative and (covertly) religiously-informed. Obviously I would rather than nobody found it problematic when I am loud and queer. However, given that we do not live in my ideal world, I aspire to rock the boat when I disagree with something. If people are identifying me as a threat to their restrictive sexual politics, I know I'm doing something right.

I also think that just because a word might have negative connotations to people whose views I find problematic does not mean I shouldn't use those words in a context of reclamation. For instance, sometimes people are confused that I identify as queer. More than once I have been asked, 'isn't that a word people used to discriminate against people like you?' Of course it is. But that doesn't mean we leave that word in the dust. It doesn't mean that we restrict our language, and buy into prejudiced people's definitions without questioning them. I love the word 'queer' because it represents what I deem a win - whenever someone associates it with positive gender and sexuality expression rather than abuse, it kind of means that my team is winning. Moreover, it's a useful word for me. I am neither L nor G nor B nor T. Even though I predominantly identify as a woman and the people I am interested in tend to be (cis)women also, I don't like closing down my options, because sometimes I fancy people who do not situate themselves at the tips of the gender binary, and I certainly don't like subscribing to a gender binary when describing my self or my sexual partners, which is invariably what happens when you use a word that says 'I am one sex and I like people of this sex.' I like leaving room for changes, and I prefer not to identify 'anomalies' as such. The word 'queer' gives me the freedom to do this, just like the word 'slut' gives me the freedom to openly enjoy and explore my sexuality.

By writing this I certainly don't intend to suggest that, because I feel this way, all feminists ought to - that would be extremely entitled. I respect Laura Woodhouse's feelings and rationale, as I do those of any feminist who feels the same. What I wanted to do with this blog post is talk about a differing opinion that I think (hope) might afford people more freedom. This is something I think it's really important to have a dialogue about - so if you have any comments, please make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment